2021 Food Policy & Organizing Learning series
Thank you for helping design this year's policy and advocacy offerings!
Late last year, we asked about your food policy interests in a survey and were blown away by the level of response. Thanks to the 50 respondents to our 2021 Food Policy Interests Survey! Your input has helped to design this educational series on food policy, advocacy, and organizing for the food councils network this year.
Over 2021, the team at Community Food Strategies will provide regular opportunities for food council members to engage in food policy interest areas and to enhance their strategic advocacy and organizing skills. This year’s offerings will be grounded in racial equity principles and frameworks and include:
- Quarterly Food Policy Cohort Trainings designed to enhance attendees’ food policy advocacy and organizing skills,
- Monthly Food Policy Friday Facebook Live sessions featuring conversations with organizations working on state and federal food policy issues and with food council members engaging locally, virtual monthly food policy issues convenings,
- Monthly Collaborative Policy Calls to share resources and strategies on food policy issues that food councils are currently working on.
We invite food councils to share with your members and engage in the offerings most relevant to your work.
Cohort Food Policy Advocacy & Organizing Trainings - quarterly
We will host quarterly virtual trainings to support the NC food council network in food policy advocacy and organizing skills development. We developed the training topics based on the needs of the network identified in the survey.
Each virtual training will include:
- Guest speakers and lessons on food policy advocacy and organizing skills related to the session theme
- Suggested actions that attendees will take back to their communities related to the learning module
- An accountability partner to check-in on progress at least twice over the eight weeks after the session
- A follow-up meeting to debrief with the group on your activities and how your learning has supported your food policy work and engagement.
TRAINING TOPICS & DATES
- Mar 30, 2-4pm: How to engage people in your issues
- May 26, 1pm follow-up call
- Jun 30, 10-12pm: Effective network weaving and coalition development
- Aug 25, 10am follow-up call
- Sep 30, 10-12pm: How to engage with local boards, councils, and commissions
- Nov 17, 1pm follow-up call
- Oct 21, 10-12pm: Understanding local and regional planning processes
- Dec 9, 1pm follow-up call
Registration to all sessions opens on February 5th. Limited capacity.
Registration is open on a first-come, first-serve basis to those connected to the NC Food Council Network. Registration will close once 20 slots have been filled for each session.
- Sign up in pairs as a multi-racial team.
- Register for multiple sessions.
- Commit to participate in the follow-up calls.
Food Policy Fridays - 3rd Fridays
We will host monthly Food Policy Fridays on Facebook Live. These 30-minute conversations will feature an interview with organizations and food councils across North Carolina engaged in food policy. We’ll chat about issues they are currently following and how they are engaging in food policy advocacy and organizing.
Featured food councils, organizations, and speakers:
- January – Just Foods Collaborative, Nash/Edgecombe counties
- Marquis Crews, NC Rural Forward
- Ron Townley, Upper Coastal Plains Council of Government
- February – NC Association of County Commissioners
- Ronnie Smith, NCACC President and County Commissioner from Martin County is leading a Task Force within the NCACC to work on the 2021 priority of Food System Resiliency.
Collaborative Calls Schedule
Food Waste & Recovery
- Jan 29, Apr 23, Jul 30, Oct 22
Institutional Local Food Procurement
- Feb 26, May 28, Aug 27, Nov 12
Workers Rights’ / Living Wage
- Mar 26, Jun 25, Sep 24, Dec 17
Collaborative Food Policy Calls - 4th Fridays
We will continue to host Food Policy Collaborative Calls on the 4th Friday of every month and repeat topics quarterly. These calls are meant to be a space to share information and resources on food policy issues that councils are working on in their local communities. Based on the survey results, we will host quarterly Collaborative Calls from 12 – 1pm on these topics:
- Food Waste & Recovery (Jan 29, Apr 23, Jul 30, Oct 22)
- Institutional Local Food Procurement (Feb 26, May 28, Aug 27, Nov 12)
- Workers Rights’ / Living Wage (Mar 26, Jun 25, Sep 24, Dec 17)
Please email Jared Cates at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the email lists for these calls.