Mar 2: *Taking Action for Racial Equity Principles + REGIONAL Connections
Apr 6: Power Analysis
May 4: Centering Justice
Jun 1: *2021 Shared Gifting + REGIONAL Connections
Jul 6: Youth Food Leaders
Aug: NO MEETING
Sep 7: *Topic TBD + REGIONAL Connections
Oct 5: Topic TBD
Nov 2: Topic TBD
Dec 7: *Topic TBD + REGIONAL Connections
Monthly Food Council Connection Calls - 1st Tuesdays, 2:30 - 4:00pm
Our team will be co-facilitating monthly, topic-based calls as a space to learn together and build connections. Below are the topics we’ll cover from March through July. We’ll skip August, and have another set of dynamic conversations planned for the 2nd half of 2021.
Please join us!
- Mar 2: *Taking Action for Racial Equity Principles – How they are showing up in our daily work and Regional Breakouts. We encouraged councils to shift their assessment of their work by looking at how their work aligns with principles associated with racial equity; intentionally naming actions that relate to these principles as a way to shift the organizational culture. Councils broke out by region and discussed collectively these intentional actions.
- Shared tools:
- CORE Level I Online Toolkit (includes Three Expressions tool)
- dR Works Online Workbook Action Tools page (includes expanded Taking Action Principles – scroll to mid-page)
- We shared Share examples from our Comm Food Strat Retreat of practical ways we are incorporating the Taking Action Principles in our work
- Shared tools:
- Apr 6: Power Analysis: Why is it important for food councils to assess power — power dynamics between members, with the community, with other organizations?
- How to Understand Power, TED-Ed video – Every day, we move and operate within systems of power that other people have constructed. But we’re often uncomfortable talking about power. Why? Eric Liu describes the six sources of power and explains how understanding them is key to being an effective citizen.
- Power Flower tool – visualizing how our identities give us unearned privilege and which do not
- May 4: Centering Justice: Supporting each other to build justice-centered practices and programs while addressing emergency needs
- Jun 1: *2021 Shared Gifting: Microgrant updates and invitations from your food council peers
- Jul 6: Youth Leaders: Learning from the Brilliance and Energy of Youth Food Councils Across NC
- Aug: NO MEETING
- Sep – Nov: Topic TBD
*REGIONAL Connections: In March, June, September, and December, these calls will serve as our usual quarterly Regional Networking Calls. We will convene as a full network, and will spend much of our time in breakouts connecting by region.